After storming through the draw with flawless all-court play, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal contest the 40th match in their FedEx ATP Head2Head rivalry on Friday for a spot in the Wimbledon final. This will be their fourth meeting in London and the first since Nadal prevailed in their classic 2008 championship clash.
Nadal improved to 24-15 in the series after defeating Federer last month in the Roland Garros semi-finals; The win snapped a five-match losing streak against the Swiss which dated back to the 2014 Australian Open semi-finals.
ATPTour.com looks at some of the stats you need to know ahead of Federer and Nadal’s encounter:
- Nadal and Federer’s 39 prior meetings are the third-most in the Open Era (Nadal/Djokovic 54, Federer/Djokovic 47).
- Nadal has won more Grand Slam matches (10) against Federer than any other player.
- Federer and Nadal have both won four Grand Slam titles since turning 30.
- At 14 matches, Federer and Nadal have the third-most prolific Grand Slam rivalry of the Open Era, trailing only Djokovic-Federer and Djokovic-Nadal (both 15).
- Nadal has won 20 more sets than Federer in their rivalry (Nadal leads 70-50).
- Nadal and Federer have met three times on grass and always at Wimbledon (Federer leads 2-1).
- Federer and Nadal have never faced off at The Championships before the final.
- Federer is 15-24 against Nadal and 112-13 against all other left-handed players.
- Nadal has won 10 of his 13 Grand Slam matches against Federer.
- Nadal is 11-10 against Federer in tie-breaks.
- Nadal and Federer have met in 10 tour-level semi-finals (Nadal leads 7-3).
- Federer has nearly double the number of wins that Nadal does at The All England Club (100 to 53).
- Federer scored the first 6-0 set of their rivalry in the 2006 Wimbledon final. Federer has three 6-0 sets in his career against the Spaniard.
- Nadal is bidding to reach his 27th Grand Slam semi-final, Federer his 31st.
- At 37 years and 340 days, Federer will become the third-oldest man to reach a Grand Slam final in the Open Era if he wins on Friday.
More On Roger vs Rafa, XL
* Preview: Federer & Nadal Renew Rivalry
* Flashback: Relive Federer-Nadal 2008 SW19 Final
* Federer & Nadal’s 10 Best Quotes About Each Other
* Roger & Rafa: Every Match Ever Played
* Nadal Amped For SF Showdown
Federer & Nadal’s Three FedEx ATP Head2Head Meetings At Wimbledon
|2008||F||Rafael Nadal||6-4, 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-7(8), 9-7|
|2007||F||Roger Federer||7-6(7), 4-6, 7-6(3), 2-6, 6-2|
|2006||F||Roger Federer||6-0, 7-6(5), 6-7(2), 6-3|
Did You Know?
While Novak Djokovic is currently in the top spot, Federer (310) and Nadal (196) have combined for 506 weeks at No. 1 in the ATP Rankings — nearly 10 years!
– Research by Joshua Rey